Long-Awaited Get-Together




The best things in life come in threes, like friends, dreams and memories. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

A get-together is always fun, especially if it involves your old schoolmates, whom you haven’t met for about 20 years. Thanks to Facebook, the get-together held last January 11 was like the climax in a Jejak Kaseh narrative. The narrative (I’m sure the others would have their own narrative; meeting in Facebook prior to the get-together is the grand narrative) began with me and Ijan meeting (by chance) at a buka puasa event in KL. We quickly exchanged phone numbers and added each other on Facebook and YM. Then we met up at G.E. It wasn’t a planned one, I was in the office, catching up on work on a fine Saturday afternoon when Ijan buzzed me on YM. We chatted a bit and decided to have dinner together in KL. It was then that Ijan told me she was preparing to move into her new house.
What ensued was the emergence of more and more APGS girls on Facebook. There were many ways this was done, as any Facebooker would know. Sometimes I would simply key in the names of girls I remember. Then one fine day, Ijan announced that she was going to hold a house-warming party cum get-together for APGS girls. I was ecstatic! After looking at each and every one’s profile on Facebook, I was looking forward to see these girls! 20 years was a loooooong time!
When I arrived at Ijan’s place, Anis was already there. The tomboy that I knew in Form 1 and throughout my years in APGS is now a sweet, matured lady, despite the same, short hairstyle. Ijan had prepared food befitting a Hari Raya Open House! I quickly avail myself to the large spread on the table. The laksa was fantastic! Fiza arrived shortly after. I couldn’t help but go ga-ga over her baby, Khayr. He’s such a cute and cuddly baby who seems to be fond of women. I just hope he won’t grow up to be one of those guys mothers always warn their daughters about. Hehehe. One by one APGS girl came and my heart skipped a beat every time Ijan greeted somebody at the floor. Sharon arrived, followed by Rodziah , Norie, Narinder, Kak Leeza, Hasni and Kak Wan. Some of these girls brought their kids and spouses. Some didn’t. Ijan and I were about the only singles there. Nevertheless, we rocked the house, especially when Ijan brought out her album! The narrative had reached its climax!


PS:

Most overwhelming statements:

Z, you look the same!
Err, Z, what is your status now? In Facebook you said you’re single but you always mention your kids?
Z, how does it feel to be single, huh?
Z, you travel a lot, don’t you?
Huh? You’re a lecturer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home