Time For Success


We realize our dilemma goes deeper than shortage of time; it is basically a problem of priorities. We confess, we have left undone those things that ought to have done; and we have done those things which we ought not to have done.“ – Charles E. Hummel 

Some time last year my BFF, Ann, shared with me some invaluable insights into leading a successful and  meaningful  life. A colleague of hers had done a mega-scale research on the secret of some really rich Muslims in Malaysia and beyond, and had learnt some really useful tips. She shared one of these tips with Ann, which was given by a very successful and rich female Muslim banker in Malaysia. Ann captured this tip in a pie chart, which can be seen below:

     

So basically, this pie chart describes the EIGHT things that one must allocate time to (sincerely and earnestly) in one's daily life:

1. God
2. Family
3. Work 
4. Knowledge
5. Your interest
6. Charity
7. Recreation
8. You (as in having time to yourself)

As Ann went through each of the different slices that make up the whole pie chart, we deliberated on some  concrete examples and expanded on these. 

#1 - God - needs no elaboration. Keeping in touch with God is crucial.
 #2 - family (or if you don't have a family, people that you love or care about) - In my case, I don't live with my family and don't get to see them often. The least I could do is to keep in touch. Technology is there, use it. This is where I've been slacking sometimes. I do call/text  my family on a regular basis, just not every day. Have to improve on this.
#3 - work - well, this is our means of earning a living, so work well and sincerely. Concentrate on work when you're working.
 #4 -  knowledge - this has got a lot to do with Iqra' - that first Quranic verse that was revealed to Prophet Mohammed - which emphasizes the necessity of reading and seeking knowledge. This can be done in many ways and places nowadays. When you read/learn something, moving from that 'not knowing' condition to 'knowing', you have allocated time for knowledge, which can be liberating and empowering.
 #5 - your interest or something that requires your ardent interest - In my case, this would have to be my PhD. So yeah, I am on the right track, I think, although the intensity of my interest varies each day. 
 #6 - charity -this does not mean merely giving money to beggars/the less fortunate. It could also mean doing anything that is good for other people, even if it is just pulling a smile or giving way to people who are trying to over take your car as they could be in a hurry to do good things themselves. In short, charity has a lot to do with giving.
#7 - recreation - making time for the body to be healthy. This goes without saying! 
#8 - you - make time for yourself - reading, writing, running, painting or whatever it is that makes you happy!  

This list of EIGHT priorities in life are really some of the best tips I've ever learnt in my entire life. From time to time I find myself referring to it, either to refresh my slackening memory or to share them with my friends. I did share these with some of my good friends, who all agreed that these are very enlightening and motivating. So now I'm sharing them here. To that successful and rich banker, God bless you for your wisdom and humbleness. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home