Shoe Factor

I must admit that I love shoes. Be it flats, wedges, peep-toes, pumps, sandals, I love them all. I've always looked at shoes as immensely beautiful things. As do other women. It's in our blood, I guess. Hehehe. It's a woman thing lah!  *wink wink*
I am a shoeholic I guess, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say my shoeholicness is 5. This is because I don't splurge on shoes on a weekly basis, like some people. I don't buy shoes every month either. A lot of factors are at play when I buy shoes. Some shoes simply need to be bought for utility purposes -like Reebok/Nike shoes. Sometimes I go for quality and comfort - like Clarks/Naturalizer shoes - they're perfect for work.  Some shoes simply 'speak' to me for their aesthetic qualities - like Zang Toi/Aldo shoes.  Some 'speak' to me because of their incredibly inexpensive price tags. But what I love most are those branded shoes when they are on sale! I get style, quality and value for my money, all at the same time!
One of the downsides of being a shoeholic is that it's hard to let go. Yup, like recently, when I tried to clear my deplorably shabby shoe rack because a new shoe rack is coming.  Some shoes were really seasoned and couldn't be worn for one reason or another - so it was quite easy to discard them. Some were really, really, really old  but still quite good, but they're taking up the already over-filled space. I then had to factor in the one crucial question - when was the last time I wore it? But then, this deciding factor was not that easy to adopt. I realized that some shoes remind me of certain things/events/relations in my past life. Indeed, some were really symbolic of some of the milestones in my life. It is these milestones that get to me. In the end, some shoes, though old and haven't been worn for a long time, were retained.
I guess shoes are like those tiny corridors in the innermost recesses of my memory. Every pair of shoes has its own story, but some have more stories than the others. And some, I just can't let go. At least not yet.


This pair of walking shoes were given to me by Rafael's mom back in 2011 when I visited the US. She had never worn this because she wears a size 6, not 7. It was actually a gift from Jenny, her daughter-in-law. This one is still good and am keeping it, absolutely!

This pair of Crocs was a gift from Muse back in 2009. I was ecstatic, as I'd always wanted a pair of grey Crocs! Hehehe. It is still good after all these years and  I am still wearing it from time to time. Precious!

This pair of pumps was first and last worn in 2004. I bought it for my Master's convocation - to match my off-white kebaya then. Never worn it ever since. The insole, as you can see, has peeled off. I am keeping it nevertheless, just because.

I love peep-toe pumps! This was a birthday gift from my two good friends, Amin and Agil,  in 2009. Still intact and I do wear this from time to time, usually for special occasions that need me to dress up a bit.

This must be the oldest pair of shoes that I have. Bought in 1999, this was the shoes that I wore for my wedding. The colour has worn a bit, especially at the counter, but all else is still good. It is amazing how this one survived the test of time. The marriage, on the other hand, didn't!


The best gift for those who judge you is your shoes. Let them walk in them, so they know and understand   ~ Anonymous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home