Open Houses and Old Friends



The best thing about Open Houses is you get to sniff and cuddle babies ~ Yours truly

Open Houses are synonymous to the Eid-ul-Fitr celebration. I’ve been to a few for the past few weeks. Some were held by colleagues, some by friends. Some I even skipped due to clashes. I have nothing against this practice except that it expands my waistline! But hey, it’s one of those things that you only get to do once a year!
Open houses are fun, as I have recently discovered. Besides the delicious and varied food, it is an event where I make new friends and meet old friends; mostly from college. Talking about old friends, I must admit that I used to be very choosy about which old friends that I get to meet. This can’t be helped, I guess. While in college, it is only normal that we get close to certain people only; we form our opinions on who are the people we like or dislike; we resent the people we cannot get along with; we overlook certain people and so forth. Whenever there were events (not necessarily Open Houses) that involved any of the people I didn’t get along with for any of the reasons mentioned earlier, I would be compelled to decline.
But after a long conversation with Yat on our way to Aida’s Open House, and a long conversation with the KL Gang at Intan's Open House recently, I guess now I no longer care about all these. It’s sad to note that some of my friends still can’t bring themselves to meet up with old friends from college that they didn’t used to like or get along with. For me (and the KL Gang, too), it’s been 12 years since we left college; we’ve matured and changed as a person. It’s time to let go of past differences, resentments and grudges.

Comments

soliloquy said…
I was so happy that I was surrounded with my best friend, my great friends at my dinner party do. Was so glad that finally Raees got to meet his gorgeous Godmother. Had great conversation, great companion. I really don't mind doing it all over again (hosting the dinner do). Maybe in another couple of months. Till then, any taker for December, gals?

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home