One Year Older


Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest. ~ Larry Lorenzoni

15 October.

Every year, this special day would have a slightly different course of events. This year, I got my first birthday wish from a buddy right when the clock struck midnight. Followed by a few more wishes from my sweet, thoughtful kids. Followed by a wish from my virtual beefcake close to 2.04 a.m. (the exact time I was born).
When I woke up in the morning, I felt euphoric. This year, my birthday fell on the third day of Eid-ul-Fitr. It goes without saying that I was at home sweet home with all my family members present. I couldn’t wait to blow my candles!!! Somehow, my youngest sis had accidentally told me that my other sis had already ordered a cake for me. Well, who can blame my youngest sis – we’re very close and naturally, her secret is my secret. Hehehe.
More birthday wishes came but I guess I didn’t get as many as I did last year. But it’s okay, it was the third day of Eid-ul-Fitr – everybody was busy. My favourite birthday wish this time around is the one sent by one of my favourite kids – Farhana. I can’t remember every part of it but I remember this part: “So what if you’re one year older? You’re still the coolest chick around!”
In the afternoon, I got ready to go to a hair salon. I was determined to look pretty on this auspicious day. With no specific idea of what to do with my hair, I was at the mercy of the hairstylist. Luckily, it turned out okay.
My other sis had actually planned a double birthday celebration. For me and my niece. Since my niece’s birthday is 14 days after mine, and everybody in the family was home, she thought it would be a good idea to have a double celebration. She thought of surprising me but thanks to my youngest sis’ over enthusiasm, her plan was botched. In addition to this poor surprise-plan, I ended up picking up the cakes from the bakery myself!
As the day drew to a close, I started to reflect on the significant things that had occurred since my last birthday. I reckoned this was necessary in order to lessen the I-feel-old effect. Hmm..let me see. I’ve stopped smoking for about a year; I’ve made new friends; I’ve started to regularly write through my sometimes-serious-sometimes-zany blog; I’ve started doing some creative writing; I’ve been invited to be a commentator-cum motivator on TV and I’ve made up my mind to further my studies abroad.
There are a few things, though, that have not changed. I’m still single and I’m still in love with the same person. Where I am concerned, there is a thin line between these two; filled with all kinds of emotion that I can’t even begin to describe.
One year older. It does mean a lot of things to me. Next birthday, let’s see what I would have done and haven’t done.

p/s Got a few birthday gifts: A box of my favourite chocolate from a special kid; 3-tier brooches from my sis; a decorative plate from a friend; and a Laura Mercier eye shadow palette from a colleague. But my favourite is a toast by my best friend in her blog :-)

Comments

soliloquy said…
Jat, you deserve the best. Only the best as you have a wonderful heart. I know that good things are awaiting for you in the future. I always pray for you, my dear friend ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home