Election Afterthoughts

Finally the general election is over. For politicians and analysts, the work of number crunching, deciphering the results and trying to understand the choices made by voters is just beginning. ~ Lim Teck Ghee

General election came again, after 5 years. I did my duty as a citizen. I must admit I was extra excited this time around. All the events, propaganda, bickering  and drama leading to GE13 were really entertaining, as well as enlightening. As the norm whenever the GE was around the corner. Only this time, it was more intense and I don't think this intensity could ever be matched by previous GEs. The Opp really laid their cards on the table, backed by alternative media that are abundant on the Net. They were really becoming increasingly popular and convincing. 
When I was younger I couldn't really be bothered with politics. But after doing a lot of readings for the past few years, mainly those that revolve around politics and the environment, I could see how politics governs most of the things that we do, the way we think, the way we react or don't react to things. The Marxist camp was right.
On the day of GE13, I went back to my home town in Keramat to cast my vote. My sister and my niece accompanied me. I was excited, and humbled at the same time. Many voters turned up, young and old, forming really, really, really long queues under the scorching sun. Most people had to queue up for almost 2 hours before they could step foot into the hall! For people who hate waiting, and the sun, this was a real challenge. They could have just walked  off  but I didn't see anyone doing that. I only blamed this on the choice of the polling station - a community hall smacked in the midst of blocks of walk-up flats. I think my house is bigger than the hall.
In the evening, I waited anxiously for the results. But they came in too slow, that I became exasperated.  Results from Sabah and Sarawak poured in quickly but those nearby were delayed. I don't know why but I had thought (or maybe I had hoped too much?) that the  Opposition would win it this time. Or at least surpass the ruling coalition's seats. Like so many  Malaysians, I have had enough of the ruling government. It had exhibited a lot of insensitivity and incompetencies, at the expense of the rakyat. If they don't get the support from the masses any more, it is because of their own doing.
So a change was needed. At least that was what I thought. And hoped for. Voted for. As midnight rolled in, I dozed off. The next morning when I woke up, I had a feeling that a revolution didn't happen. I was right. Somehow while waiting for the delayed results I had had a premonition. Speculations and claims of voter fraud and whatnot that  ran rife the next day sorta validated my premonition. Sigh.

My conclusion: The Opp didn't get to win this time but they have made a lot of headways. The ruling party on the other hand, needs to work harder to gain the people's trust again. No doubt it has brought a lot of progress and prosperity but it  has also screwed up a lot of things. And I'm not talking about material damages only. As a rakyat, I would like to see these major changes in terms of how the country is run. Yup, I may sound idealistic but I believe these could be done:

1. Stop communalism and racism. And this, I believe, starts in schools.  During the colonial times, the schools developed haphazardly along communal and racial lines, accentuating if not perpetuating communal differences. Post-independence, this policy is retained via Chinese and Tamil schools even though we have national schools (sekolah kebangsaan). And you, leaders, talk about social integration? 1Malaysia? *eyes-rolling*

2. Get rid of old-school politicians. Those ethnocentric and racist ones. Those with I'm-the-leader-so-I-know-what's-best-for-you attitudes. Those who hold track records in corruption, nepotism, and crony-ism. What we need is leaders with intelligence, integrity and a willingness to listen to the rakyat. 

3. For someone who doesn't take public transportation because it is too awful  or non-existent, I would like to see the improvement of the public transportation system. Some efforts have been made, I know, but one can't help but wonder whether this only benefits those living in the Klang Valley. This should be  all-encompassing, structured and implemented across the nation.

4.  Public outcry means something needs to be done. Price hike in consumer goods needs to be looked into. Exorbitant prices of houses also need urgent attention. Get rid of things that do not sit well with the rakyat. Get rid of the AES. We already have the PDRM traffic summons, why need to appoint some other bogus bodies to impose fines? Oh, and get rid of the highway tolls. After 20+++ years of collecting tolls, with an estimated collection of 1 million USD per day, haven't the rakyat paid enough? 

With that, I end my two-cents' worth. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home