Farewell, Izzy

    
A tribute to my feline son, Izzy, 21.09.2002 - 08.11.2011.

I'd always thought, perhaps I'd even taken for granted, that you'd live a long healthy life. To hear that you died in so much pain was really heart-wrenching, I felt like killing myself. Please forgive me Izzy, for not being there.
You came into my life when there was really a large void in my life. I'd been divorced, had moved in to my new house. At the same time my family, my main pillar of strength, had  moved from KL to Johor. The emptiness was simply too much to bear. Words can't describe how much joy you brought to my life when I adopted you. You were barely 4 or 5 months old when I took you home. Only a kitty, totally helpless and dependent on me. Well, yeah, you did bring some headaches during your formative years but those were really  peanuts compared to the happiness you brought. You'd wait  eagerly for me at the sliding door when I came back from work. You'd sleep with me at night. You'd wake me up a couple of times at night just because you're afraid to go to the kitchen and eat alone. I got all your antics framed in my mind, Izzy.
My dad was completely enamored with you. There were times I'd send you to Johor due to my outstation or holiday trips. Somehow you really bonded with dad. You'd also grown a lot, and hated the idea of being cooped up in the house. The disdain was pretty obvious - I felt like it was written all over your face. Sending you permanently to Johor was quite difficult but I took comfort that at least you'll be free to frolic in the yard. At least my dad wouldn't be so bored, being the cat lover that he was. At least I didn't have to feel guilty leaving you alone in the house while I worked long hours.
You made Johor your home. I heard other cats were scared of you. You were also no stranger to the entire neighbourhood. You made friends with my aunt, and grandma next door. You treated their home like yours. You made friends with Qsha, my baby niece. I think you were really happy in Johor, Izzy. Much happier than in Bangi. There were times when I brought you home to Bangi, especially when you needed medical treatment and what not. I shall always treasure those moments when you were home with me, Izzy. Those moments when you just huddled next to me like I am your mother. Those moments when you meowed, asking for food or milk. Those moments when you just napped and napped, oblivious to the world. And those moments when you dashed to my muse like he wasn't a stranger.
I don't know how many times I've cried since your death. I don't think I'll ever get over this huge sense of loss. To some, you were just my pet. But you were much more than that, Izzy. Thank you so much for having been a part of my life. And my family's life. R.I.P.

Cat nap as epitomized by Izzy...

True companion...

Getting ready to sleep (with the air-cond on, of course)...

Qsha's best friend...

                                   A warm embrace any time...

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet. ~ Colette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home