Another Birthday

My birthday this year was a happy occassion, mainly for two reasons. First, it fell on Eid Adha. So this means I get to celebrate it with my family, in my hometown. Second, it was kinda like a double celebration. Five days before my birthday, I had successfully defended my thesis, which means I had fulfilled one of the major requirements for getting a PhD in UM. All I have to do now is finish the last two chapters! I was overjoyed, and this euphoria continued on until my birthday. Naturally. Hehe.
I woke up in the morning with some kind of zest. After a scrumptious breakfast comprising of ketupat, rendang and the like, we headed to my late Dad's grave. It's been a while since I stepped foot at the graveyard. 8 years have passed since my Dad's tragic death. If he were still alive today, I would have asked him to forgive me and to pray for my success and happiness. I miss my Abah, my favourite guy. A guy who had never let me down and loved me unconditionally. 
My sis surprised me with a red velvet birthday cake! I was overjoyed! As usual, birthday wishes came pouring in via SMS, Whatsapp and Facebook, mostly from my close friends, colleagues, relatives, and ex-students. I was happy, and wished that God bless all of these people. I thought about my life, and how blessed I am to be able to celebrate another birthday. God is great! 
Did I have any special wishes this birthday? I guess my friend in UK, Faiz, really knew what was in my head. And my heart. She would always remember my birthday, without fail. I guess it's easy for her to remember mine. It's a week after her son's birthday and 5 days before her birthday. Her Facebook wishes really hit close to home and was probably the best birthday wish I ever got this time around:
Salam and Selamat Hari Raya babe!!! It's that time of the year again. Happy birthday! May all your dreams come true either today or soon. May your PhD journey become easier and may you find happiness and true love real soon. Take care!
Ameen to that! 

    A visit to my late Dad's grave in the morning

    Red velvet birthday cake! Yums!

    
    
Mi familia! 
    With my munchkin! 

Cakes are special. Every birthday, every celebration ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember. It's all about the memories. ~ Buddy Valastro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home