Of Hope and Shelter

It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun. Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. ~ Barack Obama

A few weekends ago a friend of mine organized what he called 'A Charity Birthday Party' at one of the shelter homes in KL. Basically what he did was organize a hi-tea party where  guests were asked to donate some money, instead of giving him birthday presents. I thought it was a novel idea and was more than happy to come. Besides this, I was also curious about the shelter home. I'd never been to one. 
On the day of this charity event, I drove up to KL. Alone. The shelter home was located  in the posh Titiwangsa area. When I first saw it I thought it looked a bit odd, kinda displaced. The home pales in comparison to its neighbouring luxurious bungalows. How it managed to operate there for many years, without being demolished or taken over, left me baffled. God bless the owner of the home, who is generous enough to let it be a shelter to those in need. 
Then I found out that my friend had actually done what he could to repair and extend some parts of the house. New awnings had been attached at the front and the back. Later I found out that my friend intends to do more repairs and extensions, hence asking guests to give some donations. God bless you, my friend! A few days after the event, I learnt that the total amount of the donations was 15k!
When I arrived at the home, the kids were being entertained by some clown my friend had hired. There were so many of them, ranging from babies to  10 year olds. They were happy. I asked one of the ladies working there (voluntarily or not, I wasn't sure, for she could be one of those women under the shelter home's care) how many kids were there in the house. She said about 80, plus 20 adults. I looked at the double storey house and thought, uh, how cramped! Soon nature called and my friend brought me to the back of the house, where the toilet is. On my way to the toilet, I saw the deplorable condition of a part of the house. There was a young girl taking care of a baby, amidst heaps of scattered clothes and stuff. The place looked a bit like a hoarder's place. It also felt stuffy. This must be really uncomfortable, I thought. 
I watched the kids being entertained, happy and gay, oblivious to their under-privileged conditions and hardships. Well, kids are kids. Too young and naive to think and worry about life. I started to wonder about their future. I learnt that some of them were orphans. I shuddered and almost cried, thinking how lucky I am, to have had parents. Responsible parents, for that matter. Then I saw some tiny cactus pots, with some of the kids' names on them. This sight captivated me because it spoke volumes of hopes. To live. To grow. And to love. 



I left the home feeling unsettled though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home