I Love You


I am convinced that material things can contribute a lot to making one's life pleasant, but, basically, if you do not have very good friends and relatives who matter to you, life will be really empty and sad and material things cease to be important. ~ David Rockefeller


I love you.

I haven’t heard this for a long time. But when it was uttered by two dear female friends recently, I was shocked and couldn’t believe my ears. Did I hear correctly? My heart stretched like a huge garden of blooming and dancing tea pink roses. Kinda like the ad for Flora Gucci. See the video above. Yup, that’s a very apt imagery. Not to mention hyperbole. Hehe. But who cares? Maybe I need a hyperbole once in a while. Especially when it makes me so humbled.

How these words can do wonders to a person varies. Some people may hear them often enough. Some couldn’t care less. But to some, like me, these words can do wonders. Most probably because they were uttered effortlessly. And when I least expected it. Never mind that they were uttered by female friends.

In retrospect, I think this is what people need. Love. Once basic needs have been met, or even when these needs are scarce. It has always been clear to me that wealth or whatever material it is that people think I have or managed to get, is not a good indicator of my happiness. After all, wealth past a fairly basic level does not automatically make people happy. What does make people happy is love, companionship, and engaging in meaningful activities. Treating what I have as a surrogate for happiness is a mistake. People always tell me that I’m doing great, I have what a woman could possibly desire. They have no idea how lonely and depressing it is at times. What’s the use of material when you can’t love or be loved? Is it even wrong to want to feel loved?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home