Glorious Trengganu Comes Alive!

Trengganu did exist once, as Terengganu does now. ~ Awang Goneng

I came across Growing Up in Trengganu by Awang Goneng during one of my trips to UM’s bookshop. There were a few copies left and after reading the impressive blurb on the back cover, I quickly bought it. It took me quite some time to actually start reading it but when I did, it was unputdownable! I haven’t come across a truly captivating account of the East Coast since Che Husna Azhari’s Melor in Perspectives – a remarkable collection of short stories set in Kelantan.
Growing Up in Trengganu started off as the blog of freelance writer, Wan A. Hulaimi. Because it was too good to exist only in cyberspace, a good Samaritan somewhere in Singapore decided to publish it.
It goes without saying that this book is a collection of Goneng’s fond recollections of the time he grew up in Trengganu. Indeed, his powers of recollection are extraordinary. His accounts of people, places, food, history and Trengganuspeak leave me in awe. Dr. Annabel Teh Gallop couldn’t be more apt when she said ‘Awang Goneng does with words what Lat does with pictures.’ Goneng’s powerful imagery evokes the melancholic beauty of the kampong, the grand solemnity of azan calls, the delicious smell of satay, the majestic palaces in all their splendour, and the innocent perseverance of local folks in their vocations. Beside being a true story-teller and historian, Goneng is also a true linguist; with all the impeccable qualities that the word implies. From phonetics to semantics, I’ve enjoyed every meticulous lesson on Trengganuspeak. Doh nok wak guane!
Goneng has been living in London for years now. Nothing much is known about him except that he has a law degree and has enjoyed stints in academic life and journalism. Sometimes I can’t help but think, maybe, for a Malaysian writer to write effectively or contribute significantly to the Malaysian literary canon (if there is such a thing), he or she needs to write outside of it, as is the case with some prominent African writers. Or, Tash Aw, for that matter.
When I read my last page of Growing Up in Trengganu, I felt so sad. At a loss. I didn't want the book to end! Luckily, Goneng still blogs. Ggitulah sokmo! (As always, for evermore!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Kiddo's Opinion

Genealogy 101

Driving Home